Board Policy on Student Dress Code
All students are expected to be responsible in their dress and grooming by avoiding extremes and manifesting self-discipline with regards to these regulations. Cooperation of parents is expected.
The policy of the Caldwell Parish School Board shall be that no mode of attire will be considered proper for school wear that distracts or disrupts classroom and school decorum. The Board feels it is the responsibility of each student to use good judgment in one's total appearance so that the attention of others is not distracted from the purpose of school. Cleanliness shall be a basic consideration.
Any substantial complaint concerning the dress code will be dealt with by the school administration.
It shall be unlawful and against School Board policy for any student or non-student to wear or possess on his/her person, at any time, body armor on any School Board property, school campus, at a school-sponsored function, on a school bus or other school transportation, or in a firearm-free zone, with limited exception as enumerated in La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §14:95.9 . School-sponsored functions shall include, but not be limited to, athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities. A firearm-free zone means any area within one thousand feet of any school campus and within a school bus.
Body armor shall mean bullet-resistant metal or other material intended to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
The School Board shall notify all students of the provisions of this policy.
The School Board shall require students to wear a school uniform to school that consists of a solid red collared shirt, solid white collared shirt, or solid navy collared shirt (no sleeveless shirts) and any khaki/tan (not white) or navy bottoms (not denim). The School Board shall notify, in writing, the parent or guardian of each school student of the dress code and uniform specifications.
School Uniform Regulations
The following regulations apply to all students:
- A solid red collared shirt, solid white collared shirt or navy collared shirt (no sleeveless shirt) must be worn. No logos are permitted.
- Bottoms shall be khaki/tan (not white or light) or navy.
- Any khaki/tan or navy pants (not denim) shall be allowed.
- Cargo pants or carpenter pants shall be permitted without colored or extra zippers.
- No parachute pants or overalls shall be permitted.
- Corduroy pants in khaki/tan or navy may be worn in cold weather.
- Red, white or navy sweaters or sweatshirts, or red, white, or navy sweaters or sweatshirts with a school sponsored logo on them, if they have a collar, may be worn without a uniform shirt, or if they have no collar, over a red, white or navy collared shirt or turtleneck. No pullover hoodies are permitted.
- Jackets of choice including those with a school-sponsored logo may be worn during cold weather, provided the jacket buttons or zips completely. Jackets shall be unzipped and hoods shall not be worn on/over the head while in the building.
- No long coats, dusters, or trench coats shall be permitted.
10. Free dress days shall be designated by the principal.
GENERAL DRESS CODE REGULATIONS
General requirements for a student's dress and appearance shall include the following:
- Caps or hats shall not be worn.
- Appropriate footwear shall be worn.) No swim or beach footwear (rubber flip-flops, shower shoes, crocs) is allowed.
- Leggings or tights shall not be worn as outer clothing.
- Pierced jewelry may only be worn in the ears.
- P.E. uniforms are restricted to P.E. classes.
- All clothing shall be hemmed and fit appropriately. Clothing shall not be defiled or have any type/size holes.
- All shirts must be tucked in.
- Pants must be belted through the loops with a traditional belt (no strings, wires, or tie-downs, etc.)
- Hair is to be kept neat and clean.
- Only clear or mesh bookbags shall be allowed.
No student shall wear, possess, use, distribute, display, or sell any clothing, jewelry, emblem, blade, symbols, sign or other things which are evidence of affiliation with drugs, alcohol, violence or gang related activities or exhibits profane or obscene language/gestures.